I’ve really been having fun with chipotle peppers lately (aside from the time I minced them in the food processor and inhaled the fumes…oww).
I put them in the Spicy Pork Enchiladas and they’ve made it into every chili recipe I’ve tried in the last few weeks. Sadly, none of those recipes have been good enough to post. Somehow, I can’t make homemade chili that tastes better than the 99 cent can of cheap chili from the grocery store. It might be because I’ve only been using slow cooker recipes. They tend to break everything down into one baby food like texture.
I have a batch simmering in the crock pot right now actually, we’ll see how it goes.
One thing that I AM sure of is that you can’t have chili without cornbread. I came across a recipe for jalapeno cheddar cornbread, and as good as that sounded, I wanted to see what would happen if I used chipotle peppers instead. The result was so tasty! I only added one pepper, but you could add as many as you like if you wanted it to be really spicy. Like I’ve said before, I’m a weakling when it comes to spicy food. This cornbread has just enough heat to balance the sweet richness of the bread.
Be sure to use sharp cheddar so you can actually taste the cheese!
Cornbread is the ultimate comfort food. Slather it with butter and honey to balance the sweet and spicy even more!
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 4 tbl unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbl maple syrup or honey
- 1¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 inch round pie dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, egg, butter, and sweetener. Add flour mixture and stir until almost combined. Add cheese and chipotle pepper and finish mixing.
- Add dough to prepared pie dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cornbread is set in the center and golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.