Valentine’s Day is almost here! We’re nearly to that magical day when you pick the one you love and give them an extra big squeeze, and if you really love them, a plate of these Raspberry Macaroon Bites!
Or maybe you’re single, and you want to eat chocolate while watching Netflix and drinking red wine by yourself (no judgement here. I spent a few Valentine’s like that myself.)
Taken or not, you need to find a way to fit these into February 14th this year, because they are SO scrumptious.
Oh, and besides the teeny tiny amount of sugar in the dark chocolate, they’re refined sugar free!
The macaroon mixture is just shredded coconut, honey, and vanilla, and I mixed a little coconut oil in the chocolate coating to give it that extra creamy, lustrous quality, and to enhance the natural coconut flavor.
Top it with a raspberry and you have chocolate coconut bliss.
These are even easier to make than regular macaroons, and just as tasty and cute. They would be the perfect small bite dessert for a Valentine’s Day Luncheon, especially since they are easy to pick up and eat with your hands (though you might get a little chocolate on your fingers! Oops.)
It’s really been feeling like spring in Santa Barbara the last couple of weeks. The “El Nino” we had a few weeks ago (it really was just a normal rainstorm) turned everything green, and then the weather switched back to our standard 70 degrees and sunny. So beautiful! I never want to leave this place, and cooking with sweet coconut and summer berries is a great way to celebrate the weather!
Those of you reading this in freezing temperatures, under the threat of blizzards, please forgive me! Eat these. They’ll cheer you up. Promise.
It’s really important to refrigerate the bites before you cut them. If you try to cut them right out of the oven, or even after they get to room temperature, they’ll fall apart. Give them time to harden and then take them out of the fridge an hour or so before you want to serve them. 🙂
Thanks for reading! I hope you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!
- 4 cups shredded coconut
- 4 egg whites
- 36 raspberries (roughly 6 oz)
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz dark chocolate, chopped fine.
- 1 tbl coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8X8 square baking pan with non-stick spray, or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, honey, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg white with an electric mixer until thick and foamy, but not yet stiff.
- Fold egg whites into coconut mixture until fully combined.
- Press mixture into the bottom of cake pan, and bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are browned. Let cool 10 minutes before topping with chocolate.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each session.
- Pour chocolate over coconut mixture and tip the pan back and forth to spread it out.
- Let cool at room temperature until chocolate is almost set. Add raspberries to the top in 6 sets of even rows, 6 in each row
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Cut into 36 even pieces. Serve at room temperature.